As you might have noticed, I’ve slacked off with the menu planning. And the lack of a plan has added to my cooking angst quite a bit. I was at least keeping up with maintaining my white-board of produce that I keep on the fridge. I snapped this photo Tuesday evening before I started cooking. The various divided sections are all different weeks/categories of produce (FM, and three weeks of CSA produce).
Now that I’ve done combat with the fridge contents and have it down to a reasonable level (just in time for another camping trip, a camping trip in which we are only responsible for the meal that doesn’t need any produce, how’d we do that?) I cleaned up that white board and added a new catergory – leftovers.
Looking this over (and oh how I wanted to scrap Tuesday’s meal plan once I saw that fresh corn) I am brimming with ideas for cooking again.
- This roasted beet, goat cheese and pistachio salad (why do I keep thinking it has honey drizzled on it?)
- a mess of sauteed greens to use up all the dark leafy greens lurking in the fridge
- a broccoli, cherry tomato and chickpea salad from Good Food Fast
- something with the corn, maybe a corn and cherry tomato salsa?
- I figure we will bring the pattypans camping and grill them (contributing veggies to another meal)
- apple-blueberry muffins (we don’t list fruit on the white board, but I have a few blueberries and one apple that have seen better days)
- zucchini basil muffins
This list doesn’t look too bad, until I remember that it could easily take us the rest of the week to just get through the leftovers we already have made (though that roasted beet salad is half-way in between as I roasted the beets while the eggplant torte baked). Tonight we fend for ourselves (i.e. leftovers), tomorrow I’m considering the greens, a grain, and the beet salad, I’d like to add corn on the cob but that would probably be too much food. Maybe the broccoli salad would work camping?